Michigan is #1 in the nation with a beverage container recycling rate of 97%.
Watch the video
Why is Michigan so successful? It’s because of overwhelming support by Michigan citizens of the dime deposit combined with a convenient return system.
Our system is successful for several reasons:
1. Motivation – our 10¢ deposit on beverage containers motivates consumers to return their bottles and cans rather than simply throwing them away.
2. Convenience – Because beverage containers can be returned when we shop, consumers are able to make just one trip to redeem deposits and do their shopping.
3. The beverage container recycling system in Michigan is well-established, efficient, accountable and requires no expense to taxpayers.
4. The Michigan beverage container recycling system keeps our roads, beaches, parks and waterfront areas cleaner, at less cost to taxpayers.
5. Zero Waste. The quality of material collected through the beverage container recycling system is substantially higher than that collected through curbside recycling. 100% of the material is recycled into new products. Material collected and processed in Michigan is highly desirable and in demand by industry.
6. The current system uses less energy than other systems. Trucks fueled with compressed natural gas haul many more containers per mile, more efficiently than any other system.